The TV Discussion Thread

Talk about TV, from Game of Thrones to The X Factor.

Re: The TV Discussion Thread

Postby Jason » Sun May 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Watching the episode "Hitting the Fan" from season 5 of The Good Wife. IT'S SO GOOD. I hope the rest of the season gets even better.
Jason
Adult

Postby Stewart » Sun May 03, 2015 10:39 pm

OMG YAAASSSSSS.

That's The Good Wife at its peak. It stays in almost as good territory for the remainder of seasons 5 and the beginning of season 6.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri May 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Everybody look up Billy on the Street and watch it. I discovered it a few months ago and it's f*cking hilarious.
Sam
Elder

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Did anyone watch Misfits when it was E4 years ago? Like the original series with the original cast? I know they change it all up in series 4 onwards.

I've been going through this obsessive phase with this actor called Iwan Rheon currently, he's in Vicious which I adore and I started watching Game of Thrones recently which he popped up in (also fantastic) and I always remembered finding him attractive when adverts for that Misfits came on. My mum and sister used to watch that show and since I was too young at the time, but given the fact I was looking that guy up, I decided to start watching, and I just whittled through the first two series and it's bloody fantastic. I'm going to start watching the third series tomorrow probably, but it's great.

And for the record - Iwan Rheon is a great actor. The three roles I've seen him in are all so vastly different and he pulls all off incredibly. Makes me want to get back into acting/theatre.
Jack
Adult

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Anybody watched Summer Heights High?

It's an absolute classic.
Jason
Adult

Postby Joel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 am

YES! Summer heights high is always great for a rewatch every year or so, especially because there are only a few episodes. such a great show!
SimTV Forum-Member for over 10 years
Joel
Child

Postby Jack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Summer Heights High is great. So is Private School Girl, both hilarious.

Has anyone been watching Humans on Channel 4? I've been quite enjoying that.
Jack
Adult

Postby Sam » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Had no desire on earth to watch Gary Barlow's new talent show on the BBC to find people to play Take That in a musical. But he's just hired Dannii Minogue as a judge.

Fuck it. I'll watch.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Still really enjoying How to Get Away with Murder. Third season was mostly fantastic.

The Good Fight is superb. It's a spin-off of The Good Wife, and it's on form. It's basically The Good Wife without Alicia Florrick, which means that it's sooooo much better than the last season and a half of The Good Wife.

I binge watched 2 seasons of Jane the Virgin and I'm now caught up with season 3. Fantastic comedy, great cast.

And my latest obsession is Big Little Lies. Stellar, stellar cast - Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley. Have watched 6 of the 7 episodes so far and I can't wait to watch the finale next week. Unless they fuck up the finale (hope not!), it will probably be the best TV show I watch all year.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Always been tempted to try How To Get Away With Murder.

I watched the People VS OJ Simpson on Netflix and it was absolutely phenomenal. Couldn't recommend it more.
Sam
Elder

Postby Jason » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:12 pm

HTGAWM is great. I'm following it on Netflix though so haven't seen the third season yet.

I want to watch The Good Fight but kinda don't want to download it. I'd rather binge watch over a few weeks than watch it with weekly episodes.
Jason
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 pm

I still watch The Big Bang Theory and I have to say, for a show I felt was getting a bit stale, seasons nine and ten, the latter especially, really have been absolutely fantastic. I think there was one episode this past season that I felt was weak. The rest were hilarious and the stories actually move! My biggest pet peeve with TBBT was how shit was dragged out. Yes, it's a sitcom, but it was tedious, but the past two seasons or so have moved the story along brilliantly. I wanted season ten to be the end a few years back, but now I'm more than happy for them to go on for a few more years all the while the quality is as good as it has been.

Mom is another show I enjoy. It's always funny. It feels like a comedy-drama in some places but I love that as it really makes me care about the characters. Brookyln Nine-Nine also continues to be as funny as ever. I don't think there's been a single bad episode throughout its run so far, and that's remarkable.

Modern Family, however, I've given up on. For the past few seasons I'd sit there just staring at the screen and after a while I realised I rarely laughed anymore. The biggest problem is they feel the need to give EVERY character a storyline, including the kids. And that just doesn't work in a 22 minute show. One episode I counted how many different plot-lines they had going on and from what I can recall, there were about seven. Everything just felt contrived and rushed and nothing got resolved. I gave in a few episodes into the last season. It's such a shame as Modern Family was brilliant for its first four or five seasons. It went downhill rapidly after that.

As for dramas, The Walking Dead bounced back after a dodgy first half of season seven. There are some serious pacing issues on that show that has gotten ridiculous and I'm hopeful from what I've heard about season eight that it might change. If not, I can see the ratings continuing to fall.

I also binged watch Stranger Things a few months back and well... it might just be one of the best first seasons of any show I've watched. I'm talking Lost and Desperate Housewives standard! Cannot wait for season two on Halloween. I'm going to stock up on popcorn, fizzy drinks, and sweets and binge watch that mother through the night. :P
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Felicity Huffman, aka Lynette from Desperate Housewives, being arrested by the FBI at dawn yesterday with their guns drawn because she paid a $15,000 bribe as a way to scam her daughters into better colleges.

Whew. Reality continuing to prove that it really is wilder than fiction.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felicity ... e-bribery/
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Shocking. What she did was very bad, but I can't help but feel sorry for her. I know I shouldn't, but she's always been my favourite out of the Housewives. That being said, she does need to face the repercussions of her actions.

On the other hand, being arrested with guns drawn? That was necessary? A woman asleep with her husband and two daughters in their family home is a threat? The police in America are so trigger-friendly it's ridiculous.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 am

Sam wrote:Shocking. What she did was very bad, but I can't help but feel sorry for her. I know I shouldn't, but she's always been my favourite out of the Housewives. That being said, she does need to face the repercussions of her actions.

On the other hand, being arrested with guns drawn? That was necessary? A woman asleep with her husband and two daughters in their family home is a threat? The police in America are so trigger-friendly it's ridiculous.

From what I've read, she knew the arrest was upcoming and was willing to surrender willingly. I think the FBI going in at dawn with their guns out was less to do about being trigger happy and more to do with making an example out of her.

She should absolutely face the repercussions, even if that means jail time. Fraud is fraud. But yeah, I get what you mean in terms of feeling sorry for her. I feel sorry for her kids more though.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:13 am

Oh, I feel terrible for the daughter in question. It's incredibly embarrassing first of all, but she must feel as if her mother had no faith in her at all.

On an amusing side-note, the tweets people made of imagining Teri Hatcher revelling at the news was hilarious.
Sam
Elder

Postby Jack » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 am

I've always found the US justice system a bit detrimental, but at the same time for the right person it's a walk in the park. The whole situation about the USC is embarrassing for everyone involved, but she'll post bail and be away with it. Someone with less star power wouldn't walk away so easily.

It's the same boat for many cases, especially in the current media climate of #MeToo and many of the people involved in that. Anyway.

Has anyone seen the Madeleine McCann documentary on Netflix?
Jack
Adult

Previous

Return to TV & Film