The Movie Discussion Thread

Talk about TV, from Game of Thrones to The X Factor.

The Movie Discussion Thread

Postby Stewart » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:53 am

I finally got around to some post-Christmas shopping at the weekend just past. I know I'm about a month late but I was too busy in January with exams and BBCH was good enough so if I was ever bored and needed something to watch, that'd be it.

I bought War of the Worlds and Batman Begins at the weekend. I was going to buy the single disc editions of each for £10 from HMV but then noticed that under their '2 DVDs for £10' were the 2 disc editions of both films. There were also priced at £7 each. Weird how the 2 disc editions cost less (£7 each, £5 as part of an offer). Bargain.

I didn't realise there was a new Batman film released 2 years ago. I guess if I did hear about it I was put off after the rather disastrous 1997 film Batman and Robin. Anyway the film was amazing - great acting and equally great special affects. So far War of the Worlds is the same (I'm about half way through at the moment). I was expecting to like it, I loved Tom Cruise and Steven Speilberg's last film, Minority Report. It's one of my favourite films of all time.

I usually like most movies anyway, it's quite rare for me to really dislike a movie that I watch. I like movies for different reasons. Films like Final Destination aren't exactly award winning material but they're films you can just watch, enjoy and not think too much about. I also quite like the 3 main superhero films - Spiderman, Superman and Batman. Batman is probably my favourite. I'm looking forward to The Dark Knight in the summer.

I don't really have a favourite movie of all time. Some of the movies I'd consider my favourites are Minority Report, The Butterfly Effect, Fight Club and The Bourne Trilogy,

I really want to see Cloverfield and Sweeney Todd. I don't know if I'll see them in the cinema, perhaps not. I'll buy the DVDs most definitely.
Stewart
Adult

Re: General Movie Talk

Postby Jason » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 am

Have you seen any reviews on the film Jumper?

Perhaps I might search for a trailer online. On first glance, it looks a bit naff. But it could always turn out different...

I want to see Sweeney Todd and Cloverfield, but I probably wouldn't get in the cinema to see the former. :lol:
Jason
Adult

Postby Ajay » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm one of the few who doesn't want to see Cloverfield, I hate things where they use handheld cameras, Blair Witch project gave me a headache so I had to switch off within minites.
I didn't really like War of the Worlds either, I don't know why they didn't call it something different. It was the least faithful 'adaption' of a book ever, ooh and I hate Tom Cruise.
I like superhero movies, and horror movies too, even the cheesy teen murder fests, they're just good to watch without having to think.
I really want to see Sweeney Todd too, Burton's a genius, his style is amazing and he's a great storyteller. The Corpse Bride is one of my favourite films, same with The Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands was pretty amazing too. I haven't seen Sleepy Hollow :(
Has anyone seen that 'Kung-Fu panda' film? I refuse to see it, I made up a story in year 7 called Kung-Fu Panda and now I know that evil Holywood scientologists are in the heads of 11 year olds stealing their ideas! kay, maybe not...
Ajay
Toddler

Postby Joelston » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm looking forward to Sweeney Todd.

Did you guys know it's a musical? I was in it 2 summers ago, playing one of the principal roles. The music is fantastic, and has some great lyrics such as

"there's a hole in the world like a great black pit and it's filled with people who are filled with shit and the vermin of the world inhabit it"

I was just asking because the adverts have really played down the musical aspect of it, when I'd say the musicla is about 60% singing 40% dialogue, I don't know whether this is the same for the film though.

Mr.s Lovett, Helena Bonham Carter's role, is one of the greatest fictional roles ever created.
2009...a year of change
Joelston
Baby

Postby Stewart » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 pm

I really like Helena Bonham Carter. In regards to Tom Cruise, I can't say whether I like him or not as a person - he does seem a little weird with the Scientology stuff and all that but most of that comes from the tabloids so it's bound to be exaggerated somewhat. As an actor though I do really like him. I've liked most, if not all, of his recent movies - Mission Impossible Trilogy, Minority Report, War of the Worlds.

As for War of the Worlds, I haven't read the book but the film did appear to be lacking something greatly - an explanation of the other world for starters. Where did the robots come from? Who are they? And so on. Still, I thought it was a great movie.

I bought Minority Report today (2 disc definite edition) for £7 from Asda. I haven't seen it in about 2-3 years. Going to watch it tonight I think.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Conor » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Is anyone interested in the new Harry Potter film coming in November, Bond 22 (Quantum Of The Solace) also due out in November (They will compete), or Spider-Man 4 due out in 2010?
Conor
Toddler

Postby Joelston » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:51 pm

I had serious harry potter cravings last week, and so ahev watched all 5 films in a row :D I'm looking forward to the sixth.
2009...a year of change
Joelston
Baby

Postby Danny » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:45 am

Cloverfield is really really rubbish in my opinion. My dad received a copy of it and it really isn't what we expected.
Danny
Teenager

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:12 am

Joelston wrote:I had serious harry potter cravings last week, and so ahev watched all 5 films in a row :D I'm looking forward to the sixth.

You've given me Harry Potter cravings now, lol. I think I'll rewatch the fifth movie later this week...
Rob
Toddler

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:39 am

Rob wrote:
Joelston wrote:I had serious harry potter cravings last week, and so ahev watched all 5 films in a row :D I'm looking forward to the sixth.

You've given me Harry Potter cravings now, lol. I think I'll rewatch the fifth movie later this week...

And indeed I did. :D
Rob
Toddler

Postby thomas$$ » Sat May 24, 2008 10:11 pm

favourite films anyone?

a few of mine
- brick
- tube tails
- this is england
- zodiac
and daft punks very own anime feature length:P interstella 5555
thomas$$

Postby Ajay » Sat May 24, 2008 10:27 pm

thomas$$ wrote:and daft punks very own anime feature length:P interstella 5555

That last one is amazing. I love Daft Punk a little too much anyway, but I really want to see Electroma now.

So my favorite films are probably
-Run Lola Run (German film)
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-Star Wars (Geek)
-Final Destination
-Amelie (French film)

I like films which are really stylistically interesting, so although musicals aren't my thing I'm kind of in love with Moulin Rouge because its absolutely stunning.
Ajay
Toddler

Postby thomas$$ » Sat May 24, 2008 10:31 pm

i agree daft punk <3
electroma is very good, i went to see it witha mate at a local art cinema last autumn.
the music wasent theirs thouh, which is slightly upsetting as it suggests they truly will never write another album?

amelie is a delightful film, another french film i really enjoyed was my life as a dog, moi vie a la chien or something its translates to i suppose?
ive never seen nigthmare before christmas but ive heard allot about it. dont think im that keen on gothic stories.
run lola run sounds very familiar, i may have a friend thast into that i think.
do you speak german then?
thomas$$

Postby Ajay » Sat May 24, 2008 11:03 pm

I speak some German, I did it for GCSE and I've managed to remember most of it, somehow.
Run Lola Run is brilliant, Franka Potente is a very good actress and the spiral narrative structure is done rather well.
Lots of foreign movies are really good, but sometimes they just get too arty XD
Ajay
Toddler

Postby thomas$$ » Sat May 24, 2008 11:10 pm

aha i agree!
i watched a totally bizzare american film the other night called dogville
it was experimental cinema, and had no walls or carpets, road or sky, merely a floorplan with the labeled properties and occasional props.
i think it was nicole kidman. was quite itneresting, 3 and a half hours long though. i didnt finish it :P

a great non linear storyline would have to be sliding doors.
great film!
what was the latest film you watched?
thomas$$

Postby Jason » Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 pm

I have a real big urge to watch minority report, for some bizarre reason. I'm not sure why that particular film, but I remember it being a great film that I loved (I first watched it at the cinema - 'twas good).
Jason
Adult

Postby Lance » Sat May 31, 2008 11:35 pm

Went to see Iron Man, is a pretty good film, not a bad storyline either. Many parts are predictable though, and it's pretty cliched, mind you, I wasn't really concentrating on the film! :mrgreen:
'"Stop dreaming", people who say that are blaspheming' - Mike Skinner.

Lance
Teenager

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:48 pm

I bought Fight Club and Minority Report from Entertainment Exchange a few weeks ago, and both were brilliant films to watch (the former I had not seen before).

Last week I bought about 12 individual films, some second-hand, some brand new. I have only watched one of them so far, which was Ocean's Eleven - it was pretty good, but nothing special.

Last week I watched what was probably the worst film I have ever seen: Dreamcatcher. An absolutely terrible film.
Jason
Adult

Postby paul » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:57 pm

I saw Sex and the City the other day and it was very good :).
paul
Baby

Postby Conor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:35 am

Has anyone seen The Dark Knight? It really is an excellent film.
Conor
Toddler

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:34 am

I wanna see the Dark Knight, but I heard its two and half hours... screw that I can't be in a cinema for that long. Unless the film has me :shock: apprantly by the sounds of reviews and the reception its got, it may well do.

Anyway, I wanted to go with friends to see Ironman as I'm a comic book freak! But they're not fans so I'm gonna have to watch it online (naughty me eh?). I would normally wait for it to come out on DVD but as a huge Marvel fan I can't literally wait for this film. I watched about twenty minutes the other day but the stream stopped working and I got well PO'd. I hope they don't go overboard with too many superhero films coming out theres alot: I heard there was a new Superman being made? Dunno bout that, theres gonna be an Ironman 2, two spin offs of the X-men franchise a movie about Wolverine and one about Magneto and there may even be a third! Apprantly they're making a movie about the orginal young X-men as a diehard X-men fan I will piss myself with excitment over this, a Thor movie, a Captain America movie, Spider-Man 4 OMG, and an Avengers movie (a superhero team made up off Thor, Cap America, Hulk ect). Jeez, I can't wait.

And oh my days, saw the new Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince trailer the other day, almost wet me pants. It looks amazing! Films are just getting better and better.
Sam
Elder

Postby Conor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:38 am

Yeah, I have to agree Sam. A lot of films are looking great. I literally HAVE to see Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince, it looks brilliant. I think Spider-Man 4 is pushing it...they should stop now.

As for The Dark Knight, yeah it's long, but it's worth it. It's a really great film. I recommend it to anyone.
Conor
Toddler

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:44 am

Conor wrote:Yeah, I have to agree Sam. A lot of films are looking great. I literally HAVE to see Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince, it looks brilliant. I think Spider-Man 4 is pushing it...they should stop now.

As for The Dark Knight, yeah it's long, but it's worth it. It's a really great film. I recommend it to anyone.

If you think four is pushing it try seven. That's how many sony has announced they're gonna make.

The Spider-Man franchise is massive. Literally, it's one the biggest in the world surley? If they keep the same great actors (Toby Maquire as Spider-Man, Kirsten Duntz as Mary Jane Watson), they keep the stories fresh, exciting, dramatic and new, and they don't use overused boring enemies ie) bring back Green Goblin then they could easily pull it off. But there are so many new charecters Spider-Man can get away with expanding and putting into a blockbuster hit for example Lizard, Kraven the Hunter ect. I think they could pull off maybe two more. They shouldn't try another four movies. That would be pushing it.
Sam
Elder

Postby Conor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:51 am

Seven?! God... :roll:

Well, I think that Carnage should be the villain in Spider-Man 4. But I doubt he will be, Sam bloody Raimi doesn't like Carnage so I hope he isn't director for Spidey 4.
Conor
Toddler

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:54 am

Conor wrote:Seven?! God... :roll:

Well, I think that Carnage should be the villain in Spider-Man 4. But I doubt he will be, Sam bloody Raimi doesn't like Carnage so I hope he isn't director for Spidey 4.

Tbh I don't like Carnage either, dunno whats so special about him hes just like another Venom... I say they could make Lizard proper scary! I think they should go with him. And I think Sam Raimi is returning Conor, Toby Maquire and Kirsten Duntz said they'll only reprise their roles if Raimi directs. I like him, lets face it hes pulled off three fantastic movies. He knows how to handle Spider-Man.
Sam
Elder

Next

Return to TV & Film