The Movie Discussion Thread

Talk about TV, from Game of Thrones to The X Factor.

Re: The Movie Discussion Thread

Postby Jack » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 am

I know Pixar do their own thing, but I do think Disney seem to be laying off original stuff for the next little while. They seem to have hit a wall somewhat with their back catalogue, no successful Disney film is going to fade into oblivion anytime soon, so I guess now is the time for them have a bit of fun with some reboots and remakes. Plus, they'll be riding off the success of Frozen for a long time yet. I do think Pixar is being a bit extra having Toy Story 4 and Cars 3 (did anyone care for the first two anyway?), but I'm so excited for Finding Dory and The Incredibles 2.

And to go back to the Disney thing, the new Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon films have me hyped, and of course, my favourite Disney film of all time Beauty and The Beast. I CAN'T WAIT!
Jack
Adult

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:20 pm

I very much enjoyed The Jungle Book. It dragged a bit in the middle and it didn't have the magic as the original but it was still excellent. It looked stunning and the voice-over work is probably the best I've seen.

X-Men Apocalypse was great. The mixed reviews are a bit annoying. Don't get me wrong, it's not as good as X2, Days of Future Past, or even First Class, but it's still a great movie. I feel it's a film for X-Men fans, so yeah, casual movie goers might not have enjoyed it so much. It had bloating issues and some missed opportunities but the acting was great, the story overall was exciting, and it looked great. I left the cinema very happy with it anyway and I'm a die-hard X-Men fan and always have been, so the critics can STFU. :lol:

Going to see The Secret Life of Pets next month for sure. It looks fantastic.

I'm also very excited for the film Passengers, which comes out in December. It stars Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, whom I both love, and the premise sounds amazing. There should be a trailer within a few months I imagine. I hope it's good. It's from the director of The Imitation Game, so I have high hopes.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:26 pm

I agree totally about X-Men. It has the worst rating out of all 6 films on Rotten Tomatoes, but it certainly doesn't deserve it. But on one hand, I can understand because it did feel very much like a film for the fans.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 am

La La Land... I went into it not knowing what to expect. I mean I expected to like it because I'd seen the trailer months earlier and it looked like my sort of film. Then the film got shit loads of 5 star reviews and is winning literally every award, and I couldn't see how the film could live up to the hype so I went into the cinema with lowered expectations. Thought I'd enjoy it, but I ended up bloody loving it.

Passengers... liked it. Could've been so much better but I took issue with the plot. Here's what I didn't like and what I would have done differently, spoilers ahead (highlight): yeah, so I wasn't keen on Chris Pratt waking J-Law up. Was creepy as fuck how he practically stalked her beforehand and fell in love with her before she was awake. Nah, not cool. What SHOULD have happened is that he should have needed to wake her up. He was the engineer, she was the journalist. They should have switched roles so that the journalist woke up first on their own. Then, with the ship malfunctioning and all 5,000 passengers heading to their death, they realise they have to wake up somebody who can help them. It makes the whole thing less creepy and gives them an actual reason for waking somebody up rather than just waking them up to keep them company etc. As J-Law said in the film "it's murder".

Fantastic Beasts... really, really liked. The sequels have great potential to be, well, fantastic.

Rogue One... brilliant, brilliant.

All my latest movie ratings are on my Letterboxd profile: http://letterboxd.com/StewartActually/
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 pm

So many films I haven't yet seen. Passengers was my most anticipated film of the year so the mixed/negative reviews are disappointing. Put me off coughing up the money to go and see it. Shame as I love J-Law and Chris Pratt, the overall premise is really intriguing, and it's from the director of The Imitation Game.

Still need to see Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One.

La La Land was an absolute triumph. Loved every second of it. Can see why it's winning all the awards. Moonlight was also incredible. I get the comparisons to Boyhood but I was never overly keen on that. Thought it was massively overrated. Moonlight was a lot stronger.

Sad Deadpool didn't get any love regarding Oscar noms. Best Picture was a long-shot, but it deserved some technical nominations, at the very least. I was also sad to see Sing Street completely snubbed. Definitely should have got a Best Original Song nod.

So many other films I need to watch! Fences, Hidden Figures, Kubo and the Two Strings, Zootopia, Hell or High Water, Hacksaw Ridge, Lion, Arrival, Manchester By the Sea, Nocturnal Animals, Moana, and Loving, just to name a few!

Movies I can't wait for in 2017: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Dunkirk, Lego Batman, Guardians Vol 2, AND LOGAN! Looks incredible.
Sam
Elder

Postby Sam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 am

AND THIS.
Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Loved the new Beauty & The Beast.

Although the original Beast will always be one of my favourite Disney characters ever!
Nathan
Elder

Postby Sam » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Was amazing, wasn't it?

I don't mean what I'm about to say in a negative way about the original film, which is easily in my top five Disney movies of all time, but I think the remake actually surpassed it. But it doesn't take anything away from the legacy and brilliance of the animated one, as technically the live action version was basically a total copy with some extra scenes and songs added in, which were great! I read people complaining it was too similar, but it needed to be that way. If something's perfect, there's little to no point trying to change it too much. And it didn't feel unnecessary either.

Disney seem to be on a roll with their remakes. The Jungle Book was fantastic too, albeit not as good. I think it missed out on what Beauty and the Beast took full advantage of: the songs. I know there were little sections of Bare Necessities, but it didn't have the same magic as the original and I think that was why. I hope they keep up the good work. I heard they're doing The Lion King. They better include the music or I will boycott out of protest.

Shame Pixar seem to be sliding downhill. I'm not at all happy about Toy Story 4 happening. The first three films are masterpieces and I think it's too much of a risk. Also, they'll have to make do without Mr. Potato Head now Don Rickles has passed away, so what's the bloody point!? I haven't watched Finding Dory yet and I'm not sure I want to. And why have they bothered with Cars 3!? Did anybody even like the first film!? Merchandise matters, quite clearly...

As for other movies, I'm looking forward to Spider-Man: Homecoming. And The Last Jedi. And Dunkirk.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Sam wrote:Was amazing, wasn't it?

I don't mean what I'm about to say in a negative way about the original film, which is easily in my top five Disney movies of all time, but I think the remake actually surpassed it. But it doesn't take anything away from the legacy and brilliance of the animated one, as technically the live action version was basically a total copy with some extra scenes and songs added in, which were great! I read people complaining it was too similar, but it needed to be that way. If something's perfect, there's little to no point trying to change it too much. And it didn't feel unnecessary either.

Disney seem to be on a roll with their remakes. The Jungle Book was fantastic too, albeit not as good. I think it missed out on what Beauty and the Beast took full advantage of: the songs. I know there were little sections of Bare Necessities, but it didn't have the same magic as the original and I think that was why. I hope they keep up the good work. I heard they're doing The Lion King. They better include the music or I will boycott out of protest.

Shame Pixar seem to be sliding downhill. I'm not at all happy about Toy Story 4 happening. The first three films are masterpieces and I think it's too much of a risk. Also, they'll have to make do without Mr. Potato Head now Don Rickles has passed away, so what's the bloody point!? I haven't watched Finding Dory yet and I'm not sure I want to. And why have they bothered with Cars 3!? Did anybody even like the first film!? Merchandise matters, quite clearly...

As for other movies, I'm looking forward to Spider-Man: Homecoming. And The Last Jedi. And Dunkirk.

Disney are killing it right now. Their live action remakes are all really good and doing really well at the box office too. I'd say Maleficent is the only misfire, but it did well enough financially. Jungle Book, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast especially were all great.

Their animated films are superb too: Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana. Since 2010 I think Disney have had far superior output than Pixar. I know it doesn't really matter since Disney own Pixar, but Pixar's output has been very mediocre since Toy Story 3 (with the sole exception of Inside Out). I thought Finding Dory was good, not great. Like Monster University I found it a pretty unnecessary sequel. That might just be me though, looking at Rotten Tomatoes it has received pretty universal acclaim.

As for summer blockbuster season, there's not been that many films I've been eager to see. It feels like a very poor year. I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but not nearly as much as the first. Loved loved loved Wonder Woman though, can't rave about it enough. Apart from that, I'd say it's been poor so far. A lot of trash out there by the looks of it: Baywatch, Transformers, Pirates, The Mummy. I'll probably watch them eventually but neither the trailers or reviews for them are very appealing.

I am looking forward to Spiderman: Homecoming though. In fact, pretty much all of the upcoming superhero films. Black Panther looks great, and it has an amazing cast too. Thor 3 looks intriguing. My hopes for Justice League have been raised a little due to Wonder Woman. I'm still not expecting much since it's directed by Zack Snyder though. The guy just can't direct! Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman directer) could teach him a lot about directing a film with both style and substance. And also that less is more.

On the topic of less is more, The Avengers: Infinity War. The size of the cast worries me. I have confidence it will be good since the directors of it also did the last 2 Captain America movies, so they should know what they're doing. But when you read articles that say the cast has something like 68 named characters with dialogue... eeek. Of course the vast majority will be small speaking parts/essentially cameos, but still, I'm apprehensive haha.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Stewart wrote:Disney are killing it right now. Their live action remakes are all really good and doing really well at the box office too. I'd say Maleficent is the only misfire, but it did well enough financially. Jungle Book, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast especially were all great.

I haven't seen Cinderella. To be honest, I hadn't even heard it was a thing until I did some research into the remakes and found The Jungle Book wasn't the first one. Wait, I did hear of it actually as I remember it got an Oscar nomination for something or other, but I just assumed it was done by another studio or something. I've heard good things. I'll check it out eventually no doubt.

Stewart wrote:Their animated films are superb too: Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana. Since 2010 I think Disney have had far superior output than Pixar. I know it doesn't really matter since Disney own Pixar, but Pixar's output has been very mediocre since Toy Story 3 (with the sole exception of Inside Out). I thought Finding Dory was good, not great. Like Monster University I found it a pretty unnecessary sequel. That might just be me though, looking at Rotten Tomatoes it has received pretty universal acclaim.

I need to up my game. Seriously. I'm majorly behind when it comes to Disney's animated films of recent years. Only seen Frozen and Big Hero 6 out of the bunch you listed, and they were both awesome. The latter especially blew my mind. Might be the best animated film I've seen since Toy Story 3. Although How to Train Your Dragon comes close.

Monsters University was a good film, but as you said, unnecessary. Monsters Inc is one of my favourite Pixar films and if it was crying out for any future installments, it should have been a sequel. They could've had the monster/human worlds merge and we could've seen an older Boo, or something. Missed opportunity for sure.

Inside Out was superb. I was disappointed to hear The Good Dinosaur was considered a let-down. Really had high hopes... I mean, it's Pixar's take on dinosaurs! Put me off watching.

Stewart wrote:As for summer blockbuster season, there's not been that many films I've been eager to see. It feels like a very poor year. I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but not nearly as much as the first. Loved loved loved Wonder Woman though, can't rave about it enough. Apart from that, I'd say it's been poor so far. A lot of trash out there by the looks of it: Baywatch, Transformers, Pirates, The Mummy. I'll probably watch them eventually but neither the trailers or reviews for them are very appealing.

Haven't seen Guardians yet but I can't wait to. The first one is easily my favourite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe... that I've seen! I'm behind on those too but I intend to get through them all before Homecoming. Only other ones I've seen until recently were Iron Man (when it first came out!) and The Avengers. I watched Ant-Man and Captain America: The First Avenger a few months back. The former was awesome, but the latter didn't do much for me at all. Had some good moments, but really wasn't anything special. That being said, I've heard amazing things about Winter Solider and Civil War, so I really need to get to it!

Stewart wrote:I am looking forward to Spiderman: Homecoming though. In fact, pretty much all of the upcoming superhero films. Black Panther looks great, and it has an amazing cast too. Thor 3 looks intriguing. My hopes for Justice League have been raised a little due to Wonder Woman. I'm still not expecting much since it's directed by Zack Snyder though. The guy just can't direct! Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman directer) could teach him a lot about directing a film with both style and substance. And also that less is more.

I'm glad they're going for a younger looking Spidey and that high school is still very much a part of his life. That is what Spider-Man is all about after all. I enjoyed the first two Spider-Man films and I'm a rare exception as I actually really liked both Amazing Spider-Man films too, but Homecoming looks like it might top all of them! Tom Holland is perfect casting. Michael Keaton as the villain can only be a good thing too, although the trailer did make me think of Birdman! :P

I've always liked Black Panther ever since my teenage years, so I'm looking forward to that. Never been bothered about Thor. And I'm yet to see any of the DC films since The Dark Knight trilogy either. Was so pumped about Suicide Squad and then the reviews came in and that soon changed! :lol: Glad Wonder Woman has done so well though! Why won't they get rid of Synder!? He is quite clearly bringing down the films! You just know if a director was damaging the MCU brand, Disney would fire them in seconds haha!

Oh, and those other films you mentioned don't appeal to me at all either. Mum hinted about seeing Baywatch and I had to refrain from hitting her. The Mummy I might've been interested in, but Tom Cruise? No thanks.
Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 am

With regards to the new beauty and the beast movie - I agree with most of what's been said; it completely complimented the original tale and made the characters more rounded, which was incredible. Definitely one of the Disney's best live action movies - however, do I think it will be as relevant as the cartoon in 10 years time? Probably not.
I'm not saying it's not amazing; it's just live action Disney movies are soon forgotten, regardless of their success and with every single release so far, I'd watch the original cartoons over the live actions any day of the week. This is my only argument with the Live action movies over at Disney, none of them seem to have any form of stamp on the characters they're remaking; they appear for about a year in media, but once the blu-ray/DVD is out that's the end of it. Even the merchandising dies down, but the cartoon ones live on. So as much as it's enjoyable; I take the live action movies as merely a polite way to re-market some of the cartoons that they're remaking.

That's not saying I don't enjoy them; I do. I've enjoyed all the live action movies so far, just not as much as the cartoons.

Has anyone seen the new Wonder Woman? I was dragged by my girlfriend, but it's actually a pretty awesome movie. Go see it!! :p
Nathan
Elder

Postby Sam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 am

I get what you're saying, and I'd agree with you that the original films will always have the sense of magic and nostalgia about them that will inevitably live on for longer, but I do think the live action film took what was so good and then improved upon it, making it even better.

At first when you said live action Disney movies are soon forgotten, I felt the urge to scream "MARY POPPINS!" at my screen, but then I realised you were probably referring to the remakes. :P
Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 am

Haha Mary Poppins is a classic!!

Has anyone seen the new Pirates of the Caribbean? Not seen it yet; I started losing interest after the 4th, but I've heard 5 is really good :D
Nathan
Elder

Postby Stewart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I saw Pirates 5 today and it's alright. I haven't seen the fourth so can't comment on it, but if you liked the first 3 then you'll like this one. ★★★

Saw The Mummy as well. Very forgettable and unnecessary. ★
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:26 pm

I read that Russell Crowe refers to fifty-four-year-old Tom Cruise as "young man" at some point? Yeah. That's just some weird Tom-Cruise-is-immortal-and-here-to-save-us-all-Scientology-bullshit. No interest in seeing that film at all.

I've only ever watched the first two Pirate films and that was back when they first came out. I don't really have any desire to watch through that series, what with all but the first having mixed-to-negative reviews.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Yeah, he does. I thought that was weird considering Russel is 2 years older than Tom.

I saw Transformers 5 last night. What a load of shit.

FYI, my friends have been the ones who've wanted to see these crappy films recently. I have a Cineworld Unlimited card so I've gone along. There's no way I'd actually PAY to see anything I've seen recently.

Oh, and the Jumanji trailer looks so bad. Can The Rock just stay the fuck away from movies now? Awful.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:32 pm

I was gonna say Stew, why the hell are you seeing these films!? :lol:

Despicable Me 3 looks quite good. I don't think I've actually watched the second one the whole way through. I got about half an hour into it but my little cousin WOULD. NOT. STOP. TALKING. and I couldn't bear it, so I left the room. :P

The Rock starring in a film automatically puts me off seeing it. You might get your wish, Stew, as he wants to run for President in 2020. I would say he doesn't stand a chance but considering a reality TV star is sitting in the oval office right now...

Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Give The Rock a chance; he was amazing is San Andreas and his voice acting as Maui in Moana was fantastic! That being said, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Baywatch!

Spiderman: Homecoming has had some pretty amazing reviews so far; looking forward to seeing that.

Has anyone tried watching Gotham the TV series? Heard loads about it but never gotten round to it :?
Nathan
Elder

Postby Sam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:48 pm

I've seen the first five or six episodes of the first season of Gotham and I enjoyed it. There were moments where I rolled my eyes but it was enjoyable. I got the first two seasons on blu-ray for Christmas last year and it's still sitting on my shelf. I do intend to get it though.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah he was good in San Andreas, but he's becoming such a typecast/one note actor. It's like he's playing the same character in practically every film he's in. Between that, and appearing in shoddy remakes (Baywatch, and inevitably Jumaji), he's becoming very boring, very fast. There's also a Fast & Furious spin-off that is set to focus mainly on his character - and given there's been 8 F&F films already with another 2 on the way... the spin-offs are gonna be wholly unnecessary.

Speaking of Fast & Furious, I watched The Fate of the Furious the other night. It was okay, enjoyable enough. The 5th and 7th films are the best of the film series though, and they really should have just gone out on a high a couple of years ago.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:08 am

Haven't seen any of the F&F films and I have no intention of changing that.

Finished watching The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling a few hours back. Absolutely brilliant. Just as good as people said it was, if not better. It's on Netflix I think, so check it out if you can! Bloody hilarious and so entertaining.
Sam
Elder

Postby Jack » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Tempted to go see Spiderman. Not really my kind of movie, but you know, Tom Holland.
Jack
Adult

Postby Sam » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi, Jack. Nice to hear from you. :P

He's an attractive dude. Doesn't do much for me, but I was taken aback in one of his topless scenes! So weird as he's quite a short, young-ish looking guy but then he's insanely ripped! I remember him when he was younger in The Impossible. He was fantastic back then so looking forward to see how he handles the iconic role of Peter Parker. From everything I've heard, he's done a great job.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Oh, he's great as Spider-Man. I never liked Tobey Maguire in the role, as good as the first two Spider-Man films were. I thought Andrew Garfield was much more suited to the role, but sadly the Amazing Spider-Man films were a bit of a letdown.

Tom Holland is easily the best though, and of all the Spider-Man films it's maybe/probably the best one. I'll need to rewatch it a couple of times to decide, but it's up there.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm in a minority but I loved Andrew Garfield as Spidey. And I really enjoyed the first film. I liked the second too actually. It was messy in places and y'know Jamie Foxx's Electro, but I think it's unfairly bashed. I love the action, the chemistry between Garfield and Emma Stone, and Dane DeHaan really gave a great creepy performance too.
Sam
Elder

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film