SIMBROTHER.NET

Post your fansite advertisments here. Please read the rules first.

SIMBROTHER.NET

Postby Lance » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 pm

..."Oh dear", I hear you say, "not another Sim Brother!". If that's what you were thinking, then you were right. I am, after a few weeks of preparation, going to be launching a one-off series of Sim Brother. Apologies for the thread title - I wanted to distinguish it amongst the other tried and failed SB's advertised in this forum section.

I have gained a lot of inspiration and ideas for this over the past few weeks and made plans, without any intention of making it public. However, after a bit of thought and good timing, I've decided to go ahead and do it for a few reasons. Firstly, I saw that Sam's Sim Brother here will be finalising this week, I wouldn't have done this if it clashed, not because I think it'll be competition, purely out of respect. It is also aimed at getting me back into the swing of things for writing shows for SimTV as I've not done it in years and the best way to practice, for me, would be off-site. Plus, I have a couple of weeks to kill before University and I'm excited about doing this little project. I just thought I might as well share it, no harm can be done.

There are a lot of understandable grumbles about Sim Brothers: the sheer amount of failures (and I tried and failed back in the day too), the fact that the call for it has died down a lot lately and that there's already a Sim Brother here. I have paid money to host this show, so no chance of me bailing on it; I'm not aiming to captivate a huge audience, just a personal project with a few people on here; and finally it won't be clashing with the show here and it's not gonna do it any harm neither. So whilst I understand the grumbles, I hope you understand why I think they're overcome-able.

For the facts of the show: It will launch this Thursday on the 30th September, there will be just 8 housemates and it lasts for a total of 15 days. I have plenty of twists and turns and quirky features planned. First snaps of the house will be released on the website tomorrow, also a preview of the housemates and a preview show will be uploaded on Wednesday the 29th August before the launch on Thursday the 30th September.

I have chosen to do the website on Tumblr, because I can customise it to my taste and it looks smart with no ads etc, I've also purchased a domain name (however, it's still configuring and might not be usable until launch). The addresses you can find the show are at:

http://www.simbrother.net (Update: Now working, please use this address :) )

I will update when new things are uploaded on to the website in this thread. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think :)
Last edited by Lance on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
'"Stop dreaming", people who say that are blaspheming' - Mike Skinner.

Lance
Teenager

Re: 1 House, 8 Contestants, 1 Winner...

Postby Conor » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I haven't actually stuck with a Sim Brother series for years (I returned to the forums far too late into Sam's latest SB to catch up), so I'm quite looking forward to this.

Good luck, mate. :)
Conor
Toddler

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:14 am

Thank you! Yes, it seems the mass influx of SB's has died down over the last few years, so there are less to follow and I'm the same as you, not followed one fully in a while. Hope you enjoy it :)

Lance
Teenager

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 am

Ooh, I'm genuinely looking forward to this, Lance! I've wanted a good Sim Brother series to follow for years now as I've been running the SimTV one for a few series now but I'm yet to find another good one anywhere, aside from stuff on YouTube but I don't like video format all to well. So I'm really excited for this! :D

Best of luck! :)
Sam
Elder

Postby Anton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am

This sounds really interesting. I'll definitely be following this series. :)
Anton
Young Adult

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks Anton!

And thanks Sam! I was worried you'd be a bit annoyed at me, but I'm glad you'll be following it! I'm sure it'll be nice to actually follow a series instead of writing one :)

House snippets will be uploaded at some point this evening!

Lance
Teenager

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 am

Of course not. I don't own Sim Brother on the internet. :P I'm very excited about it! :mrgreen:
Sam
Elder

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Sam wrote:Of course not. I don't own Sim Brother on the internet. :P I'm very excited about it! :mrgreen:

I know, it's just with one being here too! Thank you :)

A quick update - the domain name I purchased is now up and running:

http://www.simbrother.net

Lance
Teenager

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Double-post shame...

But an image containing cropped screenshots of the house has been uploaded to the homepage. It doesn't give much away, just designed as a little teaser, the finishing touches to the house were completed at 3am last night/this morning after taking 2 weeks to completely design and build.

To view, click here... http://www.simbrother.net - I hope you enjoy! :)

If that's not enough, the host of the show (still to be disclosed) will be presenting a pre-launch show with a rundown of how things will work in the series, a full house tour and an interview with the head producer of the show. This will be uploaded at some point tomorrow (29th August), I will update this thread when it is available to view.

A little foot-note: I am producing all episodes the day before it is due to air, just to give myself leeway and also time to edit if I change my mind on things in the episode. All episodes can go up at any time of day and as always, I will inform you guys in this thread!

Lance
Teenager

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

I've just realised I can't see images from Tumblr for some reason? It happened a few weeks ago, I was looking for a Brenda/Scary Movie Gif ( :P ) and I searched a page on there and all the gifs were loading and then suddenly it stopped and all the pictures vanished and since then I haven't been able to see pictures from that site.

Ah, it doesn't matter as it works with Google Chrome so I'll watch your series on there. Stupid Firefox. :P

The house sneak peaks look fantastic, Lance! I'm looking forward to see it in it's entirety.
Sam
Elder

Postby Joel » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Looks slick, Lance! Looking forward to following to supporting the project, mate :)
SimTV Forum-Member for over 10 years
Joel
Child

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:13 pm

You know what, I'm a bit cynical about SBs these days, but you're someone I think would genuinely do a good job! I await it eagerly. :D
Tom
Teenager

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks, Sam, you shall see it sometime tomorrow. There are a few novelties, I tried to take it away from the bog-standard look.

Thanks Joel and Tom! Understandable to be cynical: they're usually either terrible or end after a few days. I can promise it will finish, the quality will be judged by you guys I guess :P

Lance
Teenager

Postby Jason » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, Lance.
Jason
Adult

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't follow any Sim Brothers. I don't even watch the real one on TV. And I'm a bit late to the party with Sam's one, so I don't fancy catching up with episode after episode right this moment.

But I'll make an effort to follow and support this one, Lance; I'm sure you'll do a great job. :D
Rob
Toddler

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks, Jason and Rob! Glad you're stepping out of your SB/BB hiatus for this :P

Really pleased with the response, so thanks for that. I hope you all enjoy it!

Lance
Teenager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Good luck with it. :)
Rob
Toddler

Postby Lance » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Okay guys, the pre-launch show has been published!

You will get a house tour and a mock interview with myself as the producer of the show with your very special host, click here to view: http://www.simbrother.net

I've actually created my own little bit of Sims history/lore in the host.

The presenter of the series will be Victoria Goth, Bella Goth's unknown sister, who was put up for adoption by her parents before Bella Goth was born. Through Bella's fame and mysterious dissapearings, Victoria managed to sneak her way into the showbiz world and began doing cameo roles for small television shows across the Sim Network. And was subsequently picked up for Sim Brother, her first major television role. She has never met any of the Goth family and doesn't intend to anytime soon, she hopes this presenter role will present her with a new life, after a torrid childhood.

I know it's a bit random and far-fetched but I decided to just do something a bit different from Davina or Brian Dowling, so I hope you guys like that and I hope you enjoy the pre-launch! Let me know of any constructive criticisms: whether it be about my writing style or the layout or something - then I can get it fixed for tomorrow's launch show.

Enjoy! One more day to go...

Lance
Teenager

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Bit of a random comment, but I really like the compound, outside-y bit of the house. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this. Think the presenter is a bit far fetched (you can probably create an original character without him or her having a backstory like that.)

Also, not the biggest fan of the house, but it's certainly not vile by any means.

I'll be reading on.
Tom
Teenager

Postby Lance » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Tom wrote:Bit of a random comment, but I really like the compound, outside-y bit of the house. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this. Think the presenter is a bit far fetched (you can probably create an original character without him or her having a backstory like that.)

Also, not the biggest fan of the house, but it's certainly not vile by any means.

I'll be reading on.

Haha, me too, the outside of my houses are usually boring. :lol:

It is far-fetched, I just wanted to edge away from the status quo, that is good enough for me. I just didn't want Davina, TSZ used Will Wright and having a randomly made up person would, I dunno, just not feel right so I wanted it Sims themed. I tried to make Bella Goth herself but it wasn't happening haha.

As long as you're reading on, I'm happy. :)

Lance
Teenager

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 pm

A very promising start. I really liked the garden and the diary room! :mrgreen: I don't see why Tom has such a big deal regarding the presenter? It's not like her backstory was included within the show, I think it's actually really cool and creative! :mrgreen: The exterior of the house was really good and looked a lot better than most usual Sim Brother houses.

I'm a bit disappointed that only seven housemates are going in, I thought eight wasn't enough to begin with personally but now we've lost another one, but it's a two week series so it doesn't matter! :mrgreen: I'm looking forward to this regardless.
Sam
Elder

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Sam wrote:I don't see why Tom has such a big deal regarding the presenter?

I don't have a big deal. I just find it a little far-fetched. Its not going to spoil my enjoyment of the show.
Tom
Teenager

Postby Lance » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Sam wrote:A very promising start. I really liked the garden and the diary room! :mrgreen: I don't see why Tom has such a big deal regarding the presenter? It's not like her backstory was included within the show, I think it's actually really cool and creative! :mrgreen: The exterior of the house was really good and looked a lot better than most usual Sim Brother houses.

I'm a bit disappointed that only seven housemates are going in, I thought eight wasn't enough to begin with personally but now we've lost another one, but it's a two week series so it doesn't matter! :mrgreen: I'm looking forward to this regardless.

Thank you! I'm okay with the presenter, it's something different and that's what I am going for. Although it is far-fetched, but if a fan adds their own back-story in, it's always going to look out of place. Sorry about the housemates, there's a reason for it, don't worry and remember - it's only 15 days long!

I've taken a few risks with host, house design, number of housemates, celebrities etc but I'm just trying something different. I'm not expecting everyone to like it completely but I hope everyone enjoys reading it :) Thanks for your comments!

Lance
Teenager

Postby Conor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

I thought the house looked great, Lance, and I'm pleased you've gone for something completely different in every aspect of your Sim Brother series. It's all very unique, particularly the presenter (which was a good idea!)

I'm looking forward to it all! :D
Conor
Toddler

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Tom wrote:
Sam wrote:I don't see why Tom has such a big deal regarding the presenter?

I don't have a big deal. I just find it a little far-fetched. Its not going to spoil my enjoyment of the show.

Yeah, but as you said, it won't ruin your enjoyment of the show so why bring it up? :P :lol: I thought it was good.

You're welcome, Lance. Are these actual real life celebrities or celebrities you've created within the world of the Sims? Be funny if Bella Goth walked in. LOL.
Sam
Elder

Next

Return to Fansite Showcase