Big Brother UK - General Chat - No Spoilers

For discussion of Big Brother series around the globe.

Re: Big Brother UK - General Chat - No Spoilers

Postby Joel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:34 pm

I thought it was a decent series, a semi-commendable stab at bringing some of the former glory back to the show.

I really liked the lack of manufactured drama and how things were allowed to flow naturally. I liked the new sleek look like the timestamps and the graphics were fab, and a much needed push in the right direction. The Launch was great with the interviews taking place beforehand and more use of friends & family, and the positive crowd throughout the series was fantastic. I'm so over the trash booing everybody - it makes me switch off.

The theme was pretty useless. I did what it needed to in terms of getting people to sign up who usually wouldn't, but it wasn't really the Year of the Woman, if anything it was the Battle of the Sexes.

But the incompetency is still there. 16 housemates and 5 on the final night meant 2 triple evictions and a backdoor. I hate backdoor evictions at the best of time, but I really don't think they have a place on Celebrity Big Brother.

Overall I thought it was good! But all it has done is highlight that the producers don't know what they want, and the public sure as hell don't know what they want either. They've messed the show up so much over the years and turned away the older fans by turning the show into C5's version of The Only Way is Chelsea Shore. And then trying to flip that on its head overnight isn't going to work, because you then alienate the remaining people who are there to watch a load of drunken idiots piss the bed and they switch off because they think it's boring. But the people you alienated in the first place aren't going to come back, because one decent series doesn't convince someone to come back who watched a once-decent show die on its arse over the course of 6 years.

I would be sad to see the show die, and this series proved that a group of interesting people living together is a strong enough premise for a TV show, but maybe it's time to rest it for a while.
SimTV Forum-Member for over 10 years
Joel
Child

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:18 pm

I wonder if Channel 5 were to sell the rights if anyone would buy it at this point. To an extent there's no point in them doing that really. They can still get a decent enough go out of the celebrity editions twice a year, but I feel like they'll give the civilian series one last blast this year, and if it flops just take it out the back.
Jack
Adult

Postby Sam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 pm

I think Channel 5 will axe it. But I have a feeling another network will pick it up before too long. Hopefully it'll be someone who will do the show properly, but I'm not holding my breath. If I could wish for anything, I'd wish for Channel 4 to get it back and go back to doing the show right. Maybe even get Davina back on board. Ya never know. It won't happen though. The most likely scenario I think is a much smaller channel picks it up and does it on the cheap and it'll be even tackier than ever before.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I found the most recent series really addictive and fascinating to watch. In terms of a social experiment, it's the closest they've come to that in the best part of a decade I think. And mainly from a LGBT point of view as well. It was interesting seeing India vs the rest of the housemates, how Courtney's closest friendships in the house were with the group of lads, and how Amanda and Wayne were 2 of Ann's staunchest defenders despite contrasting beliefs.

Channel 5 are apparently looking to cut costs in order to save BB.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/celebrity- ... channel-5/
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 am

Cut the summer celebrity series. Problem solved. They'll save millions and it's pointless having two a year anyway. It's overkill.
Sam
Elder

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 am

Maybe this sounds fickle, but why would they need to be splurging out an overly high amount of money on the civilian series anyway? Other than the usual costs, but I bet Channel 4 weren't paying out so much each series while they were doing it. They need to stop paying casting and mode agencies for the cast members of the civilian series. Most of the recent ones (I'd say last two/three series) are wannabe models/actors/personalities who C5 scout to try give them a career beginning. I'm sure they'd save money actually getting real civilians who want to be on the show. Unless there's not a demand from "real" people anymore.
Jack
Adult

Postby Stewart » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 pm

C4 paid £40m a year for BB from 2003 to 2007, £60m a year for BB between 2008 and 2010. C5 are currently paying £40m a year.

Of course the show can be made for a lot less, but that's how valuable Endemol see the show as being to C5, so they'll want to try and get as much money as possible for it. It's less about how much it actually costs to make the show, and more about how much profit BB makes for C5 (from selling adverting, press, boosting the audience of other shows etc etc). Endemol won't want to feel like they're getting ripped off, they'll want as good a deal as possible. It's all just business.

Any new deal will be for much less than £40m a year, and if Endemol have any sense they'll take what C5 offer because there's not much chance of another broadcaster picking it up soon. Unless C5 make a really stupidly low offer. It's likely a source at C5 that has told the press that C5 is thinking of dropping BB - it's to try and cause panic at Endemol, and make them think C5 is actually doing it, and is thus likely to lower the value of BB.

Endemol did it to C4 back in 2006. There were reports in the press that ITV were thinking of putting in a bid for BB after the huge success of BB7 and the massive flop of Love Island (lol). This was just to try and cause C4 to think they were away to lose their highest rated show, so they ended up paying more than they should have for BB. It came out afterwards that ITV had no interest in buying BB and never considered a bid. There were similar reports about ITV putting in a bid for BB back in 2014 when Viacom took over C5. All just tactics.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Jack » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Frow announced a budget slash for this year anyway so, it's whatever. They're also not meant to be starting it until early/mid July because they want to miss the majority of Love Island so they're not going up against it.

Frow doesn't want Big Brother on the air but the celebrity series are gaining C5 their biggest audience so they won't let it up, but it needs a new team behind it to give it the refresh it needs. Even if it's not the TV phenomenon it was before, there's always going to be a loyal fanbase behind it that will wait until they see another amazing series again.
Jack
Adult

Postby Sam » Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm

I believe Celebrity Big Brother will survive in some form, whether C5 renew or another channel picks it up. I can see the regular series going away for good. And if I'm honest, I'm over it now. I love a good series of Big Brother more than anything, but it's so rare for Channel 5. Only BB14 and BB17 were worth bothering with in the end.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 pm

The Love Island phenomenon shows no signs of slowing down. The show gave ITV2 it's best ever ratings (3m) last night with its series 4 launch. If it sustains that, it'll be the kind of ratings normal BB hasn't seen since BB9.

It doesn't help the case for renewing civilian BB, and if it does get renewed beyond this year it'll never air in May/June/July again whilst Love Island is still on.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Jack » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 pm

New Celeb series on August 17th. Names around the rumour mill include Samantha Markle, Jonathan Van Ness, The Chuckle Brothers and Sinitta. Looks like one of the better line-ups.

Civilian starts straight after in September.
Jack
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 pm

In spite of all the changes promised for the remaining two series this year I'm not feeling even remotely exciting or hopeful. I just don't think they can help themselves and they end up messing up and manipulating things somewhere down the line. I don't recall ever being less bothered about a new series starting. How many times have we heard that they're making changes and doing things differently and "changing the show forever?" Not buying it. It'll take a lot to convince me. Maybe I shouldn't be so sceptical after the decent CBB series this January, but hey ho.

As usual though, I'll tune in. But part of me thinks they may as well just call it a day after this year. Unless of course they blow it out of the water, but I doubt it.

Jack wrote:New Celeb series on August 17th. Names around the rumour mill include Samantha Markle, Jonathan Van Ness, The Chuckle Brothers and Sinitta. Looks like one of the better line-ups.

Civilian starts straight after in September.

This aged well. :|

If the rumours about Stormy Daniels are true, then CBB is about to get massive attention worldwide. The US press will be over it.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:32 pm

There are glimmers of hope - the winter CBB was decent, and they've brought back an original producer of the show from 2000-2006. If the guy who was in charge of some of BB's best series can't get the show back on track, nobody can.

The house pictures have been revealed. http://www.bbspy.co.uk/cbb22/news/0815/ ... s-revealed

One of the things I'll miss most about BB when/if it's axed is seeing what the house looks like each year. This years one is a dramatic improvement on last year. I love the garden and lounge area. Not overly loving the California style theme throughout the rest of the house but it's fantastic compared to last years awful design. The best things about the house are the closed off stairs and detached lounge. Thrilled to see they've brought both features back for the first time since the C4 days. I look forward to the evicted housemates making their walk alone through the house when they're leaving.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 pm

The house is lovely. Will need to see how it looks on-screen before I decide just how much I like it. It's obviously better than last year's as you said, Stew, but considering last year's was easily the most disgusting Big Brother house I've ever seen, it didn't need to do much to top it.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

They're keeping the Diary Room secret until the launch show, and apparently the black car entrances might be making a comeback.

My interest is going up a bit.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm

There’s no Marcus.

Emma did an opening line.

She’s doing a proper live house tour.

“The good old days”
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Loving all the throwbacks to the C4 days and the general vibe about this launch show. It's about 7 years too late but this launch show feels more like Big Brother than anything broadcast on C5 previously.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Agreed. It's refreshing and a nice callback to the "good old days."

Shame they waited until the show was on its last lifeline before they listened.

The line-up is solid. Some nobodies in there as usual, but I didn't know Tiffany Pollard or Michelle Visage or Renee Graziano before they went in and they're easily among my three favourite housemates of Channel 5's era.

Was totally expecting Stormy Daniels to turn up at the end to try and sabotage Kirstie/Ryan. Disappointed that didn't happen. :(
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 pm

The president task was clearly made for Stormy Daniels, so it looks like she really did pull out at last minute like reported.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the series now it seems like the producers have put in some effort. Even if it’s too late, at least it might make for a semi decent send off. This cast looks like it could provide some drama, so hopefully they don’t let us down.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Rumours are she's going in tomorrow. Hopefully. Even for a guest stint, it'll get the show lots of attention.

I have a feeling this series is going to be good.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 pm

I’m actually looking forward to the first eviction already, just because of the setup. The housemates in a separate lounge, red eviction mood lighting, Emma appearing on the screen (and hopefully via the studio and not the outside stage). The evicted housemate making their way through the house on their own.

The returning producer confirmed that there would be the return of proper weekly tasks, less nomination meddling and that there would be set rules on how many housemates would be facing eviction every week.

If the president task/twist is week long, then maybe Stormy will be going in tomorrow night as a week long guest. Here’s hoping.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Joel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 pm

I enjoyed the launch (the last 15 minutes were unnecessary but what can you do?!)

- No Marcus
- Opening line from Emma
- Closed stairs
- Diary Room kept back
- Cars
- Full house tour

It felt like how Big Brother should be. It's 7 years too late but it was so nice to watch.

Some of the claims to fame are truly woeful, but it's always the lesser known names that end up causing a splash. I think they are an electric bunch of housemates, and it should be a good series providing they don't mess it all up (as been known to happen).

It's good to see ratings up Y-O-Y - I wonder how the rest of the run will pan out!
SimTV Forum-Member for over 10 years
Joel
Child

Postby Stewart » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am

Really, really enjoying the start to this CBB. With the old school style editing, a proper shopping task, arguments over the shopping list/who's cooking etc. it feels like a series straight from the C4 days.

Finding this group of housemates really watchable, even if I don't like a lot of them personally.

Sally and her interrogation of Chloe and Dan last night. She clearly did her pre-series research into her fellow housemates. I'm finding her to be completely awful, I wish somebody had called her out on her bullshit.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Old school nominations now.

Jesus, if they keep this up it will turn out to be the best produced series in about 10 years.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Oh wow, they’ve gone back to the 2 housemates with the most nominations going up. Classic head to head.

Hardeep to go.
Stewart
Adult

PreviousNext

Return to Big Brother