Big Brother UK - General Chat - No Spoilers

For discussion of Big Brother series around the globe.

Re: Big Brother UK - General Chat - No Spoilers

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 am

This series is the last ever series of BB/CBB.

It's time for this game to end.

The final series of Big Brother starts tonight at 9pm.

https://twitter.com/bbuk/status/1040544611968593925

The forthcoming series of Big Brother will be the last - of either celebrity or civilian versions - on Channel 5. We’d like to thank Endemol and all of the production team who have worked tirelessly to make the show a success.

We’d also like to thank our brilliant presenters - Emma on Big Brother and Rylan from Bit on the Side - for their consummate professionalism, Marcus, the voice of Big Brother and all of the housemates who have created so many memorable moments.

Most importantly, we’d like to thank fans of the show for their support over the last seven years. We look forward to giving the final series a brilliant send-off.

https://twitter.com/channel5_tv/status/ ... 3223523328
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Final ever BB house: https://twitter.com/bbuk/status/1040585999561252869

I like the changes they've made.

Nikki Grahame, Kate Lawler, Jon Tickle and Alex Sibley are the guests on BOTS tonight. Great line up. I hope BOTS continues to get as many ex-housemates back as possible over the course of the series.

I can't see another broadcaster taking on BB anytime soon, and I think I'm fine with that. The show could do with a year or two off the air. Channel 5 ran the show into the ground having 3 series a year. Will be sad to see it go, especially since the last 2 CBB series have been great, and the civilian series shows some promising signs. And since Davina was quoted as saying she'd return to BB to co-host with Emma, I hope they get her for the finale or even just a one-off eviction.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pm

The house looks great. I especially like the garden. The quotes from previous housemates on the walls is a nice touch, especially Nick's one in the garden. Fitting with it being the final series.

Love the BOTS line-up. Hardly tuned into the show during the recent CBB but if they have line-ups like this more often then that will definitely change.

I'm a bit relieved the show has been canned. Its had its day, especially on Channel 5. I'm sure I'll miss it, but it's for the best. I don't want it to be picked up for 2019 yet so I hope you're right, Stew. Like you said, it needs some time off. My ultimate dream would be for 2-3 years off and then have it picked up by Channel 4 again, possibly with a Davina return and some changes that make the series more modern (like using technology to provide 24/7 streams and incorporating that with social media) but I'm not holding my breath.

Looking forward to tonight and this upcoming series. Make it a good one, Channel 5.
Sam
Elder

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Best Channel 5 launch ever. Hands down. Easily.

The line-up is also the strongest ever from first impressions. The only one I don't like is the second Lewis, who is a complete twat. Everyone else seems really great. Normal, regular people.

AMAZING launch night "twist" as well. Something new, different, and yet simple to understand. It makes things competitive from the get-go. Loving it. Wow. I'm so impressed. WHY didn't we get this years ago!?
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Now THAT is how you do a Big Brother launch.

Easily the best C5 launch ever. Probably the best launch show since BB7/9. They got everything right.

An absolutely fantastic mix of housemates - it shits all over the previous civilian BB line ups on C5.

The twist looks alright too. The coins raining down from the roof was hilarious.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:22 pm

The on screen graphics and opening titles were amazing.

I love the "Enter the Void" message on the front door.

Housemates doing a long walk into the house and no pre-entrance interview.

"This is Big Brother. The front door is now locked, and will remain locked until the first eviction." - another nod to old school BB.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Agreed. 100%. I'm really hyped for this series.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Oh me too.

If the last CBB and this launch show were more of the same from C5/Endemol then I’d actually be happy the show was axed. But it’s lovely and amazing that instead they look like they’re going to go out on a high. However it does make it a bit more frustrating that they couldn’t have done this 5-7 years ago when they needed to most.

It’s also sad to see Rylan and Emma upset about the news on BOTS. Nothing will ever top the duo of Davina and Dermot from the peak BB years, but Emma and Rylan are fantastic 2nd best and you can tell they both clearly adore the show. Whether it gets picked up next year or in 5 years, I’d be happy to see both of them return.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Jack » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 pm

I need to catch up on the launch. But I agree with everything said about the cancellation. I think if Channel 5 get this series right and it goes well, give it 2 years or more, and Channel 4 would be silly not to pick it up. It’s created a lot of buzz recently, and Channel 4 getting it back and marketing it as going back to basics with Davina would attract viewers. Say it came back in 2020, that's it's 20th anniversary, kinda all works in my book. My only concern would be a lower list channel picking it up too soon and killing it more. I heard ITV had already been looking into it for ITVBe.
Jack
Adult

Postby Stewart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Celebrity Big Brother will definitely be back at some point. TV shows rarely stay dead for good these days. Channel 4 would probably be the best option, but I think 2020 would still be too soon. It needs to be off air long enough for the public to miss it, and after 43 series (fucking hell!), I don't think missing a year would do much to increase or create an appetite for the show.

Civilian BB launched with under 1m viewers last night, pretty much justifying Channel 5's decision to axe the show. It's a shame to see the series sink so low, but it's the consequence of summer after summer of poor series (BB14 aside) driving viewers away gradually. A shame, because even though a lot of the CBB series on C5 have been far superior to the civilian series, I'll still always prefer normal BB.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 pm

I agree that Celebrity Big Brother will be back eventually. Let's just hope it's not an MTV/ITVBe type channel who would be even worse than Channel 5.

Ellis has been removed. Already. Due to racist comments she made on social media... when she was fifteen. Really? That's necessary? Fucking hell. What she said was obviously disgusting, but if half the stuff I said at that age was on social media... bloody hell. I know I never used the N word, but I was certainly ignorant about religions, particularly Islam. And I used to believe in pathetic conspiracy theories, which makes me cringe thinking back to it. People shouldn't be judged by their behaviour as a young teen. You've not matured anywhere near enough. They should've called her to the diary room, spoke to her, and given her a chance to explain that she was young and stupid and she regretted it. They can keep Rodrigo in after he used the N-word and sat back and let Roxanne stay after her treatment to Ryan, but they felt the need to do this? It's not fair.

Are the producers incapable of doing some background research on social media!? This happened with Tila Tequila (who they should have known was a Nazi-sympathising scumbag from just seconds on her Twitter feed) and with that young guy on I'm A Celebrity last year. It's embarrassingly incompetent on their part.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Great first highlights show. This cast seems like an absolute riot, it feels like it could be a cast picked from the peak years of BB on C4.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Stewart wrote:Great first highlights show. This cast seems like an absolute riot, it feels like it could be a cast picked from the peak years of BB on C4.

Agreed.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 pm

I have faith in Endemol (shock!) that they won’t fuck this up, because their production of CBB22 was spot on. The only factor that I can see fucking this series up is Channel 5, when they cut the show to 25 days and shove it to the graveyard slot of 11pm... on 5*. Like, it genuinely would not surprise me haha.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Stewart » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:12 pm

The first week of this series has been outstanding tbh. The casting/production/tasks etc. are all spot on.

There has been 1 great civilian BB series on C5 and moments of brilliance dotted throughout the others, but this series is head and shoulders above them all.

Also, this is a really good article about the rise and fall of BB.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... changed-tv
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Couldn't agree with you more. Really enjoying it a lot.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Loving the format change to this series.

The housemates nominate each Sunday. Viewers get to vote (for free) for their favourite housemate each weekend. The housemate with the least votes, who doesn't already face eviction, is put up for eviction alongside the nominated housemates.

Every Tuesday 6 housemates (including all of the nominees and the richest housemate) get to compete in a Power of Veto style competition to win the power to save one of the nominated housemates from eviction.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Yup. Absolutely loving that as well. This series is going from strength to strength.

It was inevitable Anamelia was going, but I'm a bit sad about it now. She had calmed down the past few days and I think she was adjusting to the group. Kay and Sian are nice girls, but they've not exactly done much. Ah well.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 pm

Yeah she was starting to come across better, and she was really nice in her exit interview. I wish she had stayed. Only complaint about this week/series is that it’s gone back to vote to evict. I think Kay would have gone had it been vote to save, and she wouldn’t have been missed too much.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:47 pm

I agree, but if it was vote to save, Lewis G would no doubt make the final and quite possibly win. And that wouldn't be good. :P
Sam
Elder

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Cannot wait for Friday. What a great head-to-head. Like the days of Alex vs Spencer.

Seeing Lewis G being evicted Friday is going to be a classic eviction.
Sam
Elder

Postby Sam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:25 am

Amazing eviction. Lewis G was stunned.
Sam
Elder

Postby Stewart » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 pm

I’m still absolutely hooked on this series.

I wouldn’t mind if they threw in a new female housemate on Friday since we’ve had somebody being ejected and now a walker.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Me too.

And definitely. I'm normally opposed to new blood, especially when the current housemates are good enough as it is (it's what ruined BB16) but I think throwing a new female in would be great.
Sam
Elder

Postby Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Ooh. New housemates confirmed for tomorrow night. Not sure how many but hopefully it's no more than two. Both of them being females would be good.
Sam
Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Big Brother