Altos' Chronicles Return?

Discuss about the shows on the SimTV Drama Channel.

Altos' Chronicles Return?

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey guys,

I don't know if you remember Altos' Chronicles, a drama I wrote a long time ago now but I was just looking through my computer and found the old Season 2 planning files and it sort of got me thinking about the show again, it turns out I had some very cool stuff lined up for S2 haha. But, finding these has made me thinking about possibly bringing the show back. But the thing with that is (well, let's be honest season 1 was rushed and some what disjointed.) with season 1 being as bad as it was quality wise, making me wonder wether the best option would be to tweak season 1, re-write it completely or just start the show from my season 2 plans and alter them slightly so they make sense without season 1. While I was digging around my computer I even found an old season 1 episode and it is quite surprising how the quality of my writing changed! (Especially my spelling! :D)

I am of course fully aware that things have changed here at simtv since altos last aired, so if you guys didn't think the show could/would return that is completely understandable. The one thing I really picked up on which was a fatal flaw looking back was the fact that none of the episodes were pre-written, having worked on a few sim shows since, I see this was a massive mistake on my part.

Any thoughts guys?
Ross
Baby

Re: Altos' Chronicles Return?

Postby Jason » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:15 pm

I looked back at the first season fairly recently and I need to be honest: it was sorta in the league of... well, terrible. I know you wrote it a long time ago, and I'm sure you have improved a lot since then, but the episodes in season 1 made absolutely no sense at all. It was all over the place, the dialogue was completely unbelievable and the photography left a lot to be desired.

BUT, Ross, I can see that your writing is a lot better than that, just from your forum posts. I think you were just so keen back then to get something on SimTV - which we've seen before with new (and young) members - and you just rushed it and didn't plan things out.

I'd suggest starting completely anew, making a new season 1. Brush up on some filming skills - e.g. use some cheats, such as "hideHeadlineEffects on" to get rid of speech/thought bubbles and plumbbobs - and build up a bit of character development. It does seem like a soap-style show, so don't fall into the trap of adding so much boring small talk into your scripts, such as
Mr X: Hi, how are you?
Mrs Y: I'm good thanks, and yourself?
Even though you might see it in a soap, nobody really wants to read loads of it in a SimTV show. That's my personal advice, however, as others might disagree.

I'd encourage you to make a pilot and send it to somebody first.

Also, I'd strongly suggest having the title as "The Alto Chronicles", where the "The" at the start is essential. "Altos' Chronicles" is okay grammatically, but it sounds a bit messy. But anything is certainly better than "Alto's Chronicles". :lol: :P
Jason
Adult

Postby Sam » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:13 pm

I agree with everything Jason said. Altos' didn't really have enough of a 'legacy' or a 'fanbase' for it to be successful should it come back.

I'd go with Jason's advice and try something completely new, it's your best chance of getting something on SimTV. As long as you really put in the effort and don't rush then you have a good chance. Luke is an example, he admits his early show ideas were rushed and didn't make much sense at all but he's grown a lot and taken every advise he's been given and I saw a draft of a show he has and I was really impressed with how far he'd come, I've told him it only needs a few more tweaks and then it could be quite a popular show, and he's working on it now I believe.

There's no reason why you should be any different. :D
Sam
Elder

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for your advice Jason and Sam it's much appreciated.

I have gone with your advice Jason about starting completely fresh and have start developing the characters and storylines. I have had a few ideas for the show so far, so the next few days/ weeks will be used to test them out and fully develop the characters. I have no plan to rush this show and with me starting college in a few weeks that will of course take priority and I'll write the show in my spare time.

I will of course keep you updated on my progress using this thread.
Ross
Baby

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:44 am

Progress update: I have started to fully form the major plotline, and am just adding more to the characters.
I'm doing a press photo shoot today since i have the time, the results of which will be revealed soon.
Ross
Baby

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 pm

I'll be posting the new logo for the show tonight.
Ross
Baby

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 am

Here are two different versions of the logo, I can't decide which I like better :lol: :P

What do you think guys...
Ross
Baby

Postby Sam » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:08 am

Looks pretty good Ross! :mrgreen: I think the first one is better.
Sam
Elder

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks Sam :D
Ross
Baby

Postby Jason » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:16 am

I much prefer the second one, but there's too much excess purple (ie you should crop the image) and the layout of the text isn't great.

But I like the second one better. It's good overall. :)
Jason
Adult

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:21 am

Thanks Jason :)
Ross
Baby

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:25 am

I prefer the first :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby MelKaya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:37 am

Here's an idea, how about mixing the two up? Have one side the first one, and the other side the second one if that makes sense?

If you have no idea what I'm on about, I'll do it for you as an example :)
MelKaya
Teenager

Postby Jason » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Something like this?

Jason
Adult

Postby Jason » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:28 pm

No, wait, this one is better!

Jason
Adult

Postby Sam » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Wow Jay, that is nice.
Sam
Elder

Postby MelKaya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:54 pm

This is what I was on about:

It's rubbish since I was playing around with photoshop but if done properly it could look nice :D but it's up to you :) personally it could work, but part of me says it doesn't (my idea that is :D)
MelKaya
Teenager

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:42 am

Jason, I really like what you've done there it's really, really nice.
Mel, I see what you were getting at, I might have a play around and see how it turns out.

While I'm here I'll do a quick progress update, I've got a fair chunk of the pilot script written (once i got the initial idea it really seemed to flow from there...) so once I've finished it and shot the photos to go with it I'll send it to someone to have a look if that alright.

By the way, thank-you for all the comments on the logos guys it's much appreciated.
Ross
Baby

Postby Ross » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:28 am

I'm doing a promo shoot with the characters today, so I'll post the pictures from that later..
Ross
Baby

Postby Ross » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 am

I've almost finished the pilot guys, Who do I sent it to once it's done?
Ross
Baby

Postby MelKaya » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:30 am

You can send it to any of the Media Managers, who are me, Sam, Nathan and Jason :)
MelKaya
Teenager

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey guys, just a quick note, I've decided I'll go ahead with Alto, Hopefully I'll be able to send it to one of you soon to see what you think. I restarted the pilot because i wasn't happy with it. so I'll be shooting the photos soon, but the pilot will most likely be the shortest episode of the series.

I also decided that becasue it's a completely new show, it needed a completely new look. I'll post pics of the new logo later but the purple is goin and I've gone of a more "posh" and "modern" feeling to the logo.
Ross
Baby

Postby Jason » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 pm

Okay, good luck with it Ross!
Jason
Adult

Postby Nathan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah, good luck with it :D Look forward to seeing it :D
Nathan
Elder

Postby Ross » Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm

Just a quick post to say that yes, this show is coming. I have just been really bogged down with college work. I will try and aim for the series to be ready for review by mid-june. Just wanted to update you guys so you didn't think I'd forgotten about the show.
Ross
Baby

Next

Return to SimTV Drama