General Discussion, Enquiries and Updates

General SimTV feedback, discussion and suggestions.

General Discussion, Enquiries and Updates

Postby Jason » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 pm

This is a general thread for discussing the SimTV site; whether you have questions about contributing to the site, have a new idea for a show, or any other general comments, this is the place to post them.

(I intend for the "about" page to link to here. We didn't previously have a general thread, so I though we ought to make one.)

Could someone sticky this please? Cheers. :)
Last edited by Jason on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Adult

New Show idea: Livington

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:15 am

Livington is a new drama idea i am working on with the first episode being filmed at the moment it follows four very different families through their lives in the inner city hotspot that is Livington. I came up with the idea to add another show to SimTV's dram line-up, I will post more info in the next few days. Just wanted to get the idea out there to get the forums feelings on the idea.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Ross
Ross
Baby

Re: General Discussion and Enquiries

Postby SmartAlec » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 am

After reading some the posts from the Bob & Betty thread, I wonder how many people in the wider Sim internet community are actually aware of this site, especially those that love to make Sim stories/videos/other media etc. Or even if their is even as much interest in the Sims overall on the web as it was almost four years ago when I stumbled upon SimTV. I can't help feeling that SimTV is a bit isolated from the rest of the internet, especially Sim websites.

JMHO
SmartAlec
Baby

Postby Nathan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:15 am

I don't think it's as isolated as we think. The shows do get quite a fair few hits but I think people don't register. Don't ask why, but if you speak to most they'll say they found this site and didn't join the forums straight away - they just viewed the shows.
Nathan
Elder

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 am

I'm thinking on the lines of advertising... again... see if we can get this site to be an affiliate of other sim sites, so members of them sites can see this site, click on the link and see SimTV. ;)
Luke
Toddler

Postby Magenta » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 am

Maybe we could try advertising Sim TV on some of the more popular Sims sites like Mod The Sims or The Sims Resource.
Magenta
Elder

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 am

SmartAlec wrote:After reading some the posts from the Bob & Betty thread, I wonder how many people in the wider Sim internet community are actually aware of this site, especially those that love to make Sim stories/videos/other media etc. Or even if their is even as much interest in the Sims overall on the web as it was almost four years ago when I stumbled upon SimTV. I can't help feeling that SimTV is a bit isolated from the rest of the internet, especially Sim websites.

JMHO

I think you're absolutely right, SA. We used to get our traffic from affiliations and links from other sites - as well as a bit of advertising - back in the day, but since the Sim Media home page (which no longer exists) started dwindling in updates and activity, we lost our affiliations and the NEW traffic that was forwarded to SimTV.

I think the main approach should be advertising on other fan sites.

One of the main attractions to SimTV was definitely Sim Brother. A lot of people come to SimTV's SB by merely Googling "Sim Brother". For a start, the homepage of the simtv.co.uk/sb REAAAAALLLLYYY needs updating. It's completely blank! But I think only Sam and Jon have rights to that part of the site.
Jason
Adult

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Absoulutely. We should start at the smaller websites first, and work our way up towards the likes of TSR and MTS.
Luke
Toddler

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't see why we should have to 'work our way up'. It's not like we're a new site. We've been a long-established site for over 7 years now. (7 years, right? I seem to remember the 7th bday being last May.)

I tried advertising a while back, but that was when we had a decent schedule to go on. The schedule now is somewhat bare, and a bit hit-and-miss.

I think we need some new shows, and some new writers.
Jason
Adult

Postby Magenta » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:09 pm

And what about Twitter or Myspace? I think Sim TV could benefit a lot from having it's own profile on sites like that.
Magenta
Elder

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm

It does have a Twitter account. Someone made one a while back, but I'm not sure what the details were. There might be a thread in this very forum with the details actually.
Jason
Adult

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Well now that I am back at SimTV, I can write shows now and I'm working on some things for the year ahead, so count me in if it all goes to plan ;)

We have many shows waiting to start anyway, Sim City's Next Top Model, Sim State Stories, Apocalypse, thats all we have for the moment but we can expand that list.
Luke
Toddler

Postby Sam » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 pm

I think I tried to put a nice big picture on the Simtv homepage but I struggled to find it lol. I'll look again soon.

SB5 is on my mind, for sure. I built the house, crested the housemates and shot the live launch a long time ago. Once Bob&Betty season two is done I'll work on it some more.
Sam
Elder

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Discussion on a Facebook fan page:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4150
Actual page is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SimTV/136 ... 735?ref=ts

There IS a Twitter account for the site, but it's under the name of Sim Media, so it's outdated and I suggest we make a new one for "SimTV".
Jason
Adult

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm

That's great to hear Sam. :D

Sim Brother is without doubt, the most popular, well-known show on SimTV. A Sim Brother Series 5 would be a great start in order to get SimTV going the way it was again. :)
Luke
Toddler

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Please excuse my double-post, but I was looking at the 'SimTV Awards' section earlier and I was thinking that maybe we could start it again? What ever happened to the 2009 awards show?
Luke
Toddler

Postby Thomas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 pm

2009 never went ahead, from what I remember. 2010 didn't happen either.
Thomas
Young Adult

Postby MelKaya » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Obviously due to uni I haven't been able to focus on SimTV and this is the same with others who are in full time education or jobs, the times when SimTV really booms is the summer holidays when everyone is free!

I still have some stories to finish off (which I will) and I do have some fresh ideas story-wise but I'm not touching them at all until I've at least finished Like Minded :)
MelKaya
Teenager

Postby Jack » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

what about a Facebook Ad?
Jack
Adult

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:10 pm

I think we've done all we can with social networking sites. Worth giving it a try...
Luke
Toddler

Postby Jack » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:24 pm

I know that the website and the forums have recently been re-vamped, but when I first joined, or I'm not too sure if I had joined yet, but the layout was really cool and stuff! I know, that the forums were hacked, but is there anyone that can maybe edit the forum layout, and maybe we could kinda all do it up? I'm not saying it need's to be done up, but I prefered the look of it when the forum was back in it's Green Days
Jack
Adult

Postby SmartAlec » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:01 pm

What about promoting the site on YouTube? The place is stuffed with people and their Sims videos and don't we have a SimTV YT account already?

MelKaya wrote:Obviously due to uni I haven't been able to focus on SimTV and this is the same with others who are in full time education or jobs, the times when SimTV really booms is the summer holidays when everyone is free!

I hate it when the forums are buzzing in June/July/August and I'm hardly around to see it cos I got mid-year exams during that time! Oh well....
SmartAlec
Baby

Postby Nathan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I can make a video on my channel if people think it would help?
Nathan
Elder

Postby MelKaya » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 pm

There is a SimTV channel I think - I know Stewart used it for Sim Street ads but not sure if it's still around, worth a try?
MelKaya
Teenager

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 am

Most definately worth a try... ;)
Luke
Toddler

Next

Return to SimTV Discussion