Cluedo - Murder At The Mansion

Discuss about the shows on the SimTV Mystery Channel.

Cluedo - Murder At The Mansion

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:37 pm

You know the game. You know the characters. You know the weapons. But do you know the story?

"Someone is playing a sadistic game as a group of people hoping to enjoy a relaxing vacation in a mansion on the outskirts of a suburban town discover that someone is on a murderous bloodbath and everyone staying there is a suspect, just as everyone is a victim. This 10 part story re-tells the tale of the board game which has brought so much enjoyment and pleasure to people's homes since it was created. Now see the characters you know and love brought to life and discover how the board game came to be.

All of the characters in this story are based off the actual "Clue" board game, with some extra characters being taken from the special edition version.

Check out the character list here:
http://www.simtv.co.uk/mystery/cluedo-m ... nsion.html
Nathan
Elder

Re: Cluedo - Murder At The Mansion

Postby Sam » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:44 pm

OOOH! Interesting! I love the board game so this is going to be great!

Very much looking forward to it, Nathan!
Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks Sam :)

Here's some trivia for you:

-The Story alters the board game edition of cluedo and turns it into a slasher/horror story. The "whodunnit" element is still present though.
-The Killer's cloak is identicle to the Grim Reaper's.
-The story isn't set in at the time the board game is based, but it also isn't set in the present day.
-The story does explain how the board game was created.
-The weapons in the board game all make an appearance to some extent in the story.
Nathan
Elder

Postby Magenta » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Cluedo used to be one of my favourite games when I was younger, really looking forward to this!

Go Mrs White!
Magenta
Elder

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks Mags :)

I'll do my best to upload all of it tomorrow, although I've told a fib, it's actually a 13 chapter story haha :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby Stewart » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Another one here who loved the Cluedo board game when I was younger! Looking forward to this.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Cheers Stew :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Gotta admit, I've not really played Cluedo, but this looks great. It's an original and exciting concept for a show and I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done with it. :)
Rob
Toddler

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks Rob :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Nathan
Elder

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:13 am

I enjoyed the first five chapters, Nathan.

At times I find it a bit hard to follow. Sometimes the narration seems very fluid and and straight-to-the-point, in other words easy to follow, but then there are little bits thrown in there as if a characters narrating it. Does that make any sense?

Another way to make it a bit easier to follow is if the text followed the structure of novels by using paragraphs and beginning a new line, like when characters speak for example.

The sets and the sims look great though! And the story itself has me interested.

My money is on: the butler and Miss. Peacock. Not sure why I think that, though!

A lot of work clearly went into this! :) Looking forward to more.
Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks for the comment Sam :) Tbh the format of how it actually is isn't displayed on SimTV because of how the pages are formatted. I uploaded it somewhere else last year and the format was a lot easier because oh how I could structure the paragraphs etc. The picture size is also an issue because it creates a huge seperation which isn't always needed, if you get me? :)

Thanks though, I can't wait for everyone to find out who the killer is :p
Nathan
Elder

Postby Nathan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

All the chapters are now up :)

http://www.simtv.co.uk/mystery/cluedo-m ... nsion.html

SPOILERS BELOW! READ THE EPISODE BEFORE YOU VIEW THE COMMENTS!
Nathan
Elder

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Sorry I haven't got around to this yet! I will do very soon. :)
Rob
Toddler

Postby Nathan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks rob :) let me know what you think when you do :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby Sam » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:17 pm

(Spoilers below)

Decided to leave comments per chapter!

Chapter 6:
Aw, I was hoping Mrs. White wouldn't die. Disappointed with that. I'm still very suspicious about Miss. Peacock, but I'm stunned the Butler is dead! I suspected him!

Chapter 7:
This chapter was good. Sad about Reverend Green. I find the cloak/killer thing a bit silly, I'm sorry to say. It feels more Scream/Scary Movie than a murder mystery. Most of the deaths up until now have been quite obvious, too!

Chapter 8:
I'm very confused and it feels a tad silly now. The board game's coming to life, or something? I don't get it. This just feels like a horror film that doesn't make much sense.

Chapter 9:
Again, the maze thing is a cool concept, but this is just taken a weird turn.

Chapter 10:

This is what I mean by the narration being quite messy in places:

She entered the Dining room and scanned the tops of the living room to see if there was a box or something - there was nothing.

It feels as if a person's narrating it at times. There's no consistency. It's not fluid.

OK, so Doctor Black's somehow alive even though several individuals all confirmed he wasn't breathing and there was no pulse? Seems a bit far fetched. Oh, so he's the killer, right, OK. That doesn't make much sense.

Chapter 11:

Black/Boddy's reasons feel a bit soap operaish. This just feels all random and out of place.

Chapter 12:

Again, this just feels weird to me. He wants to impress his father, so he comes up with a board game and kills people? I don't get how that works. I knew Josephine would come back and be the one to kill Boddy. That was a bit obvious.

The photography where he fell off the roof and went through the glass below was great though.

Chapter 13:

So it ends with Josephine creating a board game that Boddy came up with and killed her mother over?

Sorry, I've got to be honest, this was a bit of a mess for me. The story didn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm not saying it to be harsh, it's just my honest opinion! It didn't add up. I was excited for this as I thought it would be a murder mystery type show and we'd eventually see all of the possible reasons as to why the suspects would want Black dead, but it just became a horror film with a weak story that felt a bit messy.

The sets/photography/sims all looked great though. And you clearly put a lot of work into this, so well done, Nathan! :)
Sam
Elder

Postby Nathan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks for the comments Sam :)

The whole concept wasn't to be a murder mystery, it was meant to be a slasher-horror story. I uploaded it to another website and people that are aware of those types or films/stories know that the reasons for someone to kill, the reasons are never explainable. It's like I said, you've really got to be a fan of those types of stories to get it, but thanks for the comments Sam :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby Stewart » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:33 pm

I like how you've done a Netflix and released all the parts at once. Making my way through the chapters, enjoying it so far. The photography is bloody great btw, very impressed.
Stewart
Adult

Postby Nathan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Thanks Stew, let me know what you think when you're done :)
Nathan
Elder

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Just finished this. Overall I was quite impressed with the story, particularly the twist that the first to be murdered, Dr. Black, was the killer all along, and was in fact the mansion's elusive owner, Mr. Boddy. I especially liked that Robert thought he could see Dr. Black breathing when he first found his body, which foreshadowed that he wasn't dead after all. Good job on the red herrings as well; I was thinking for a while that the killer might be the butler, given that we hadn't had any narrative from his perspective and that he kept disappearing. The revelation that he'd been murdered as well was very good. Good job with Peter too. I was mostly on board with the idea of him as the killer, until you came out of left field with the Dr. Black revelation.

I liked that you tied the board game into the mystery, effectively making the whole thing a kind of origins story for the game. You did a good job of making the characters interesting and likeable as well. The murders were all suitably dramatic and the way you wrote them added to their sense of gruesomeness, especially for Eleanor Peacock's murder, when you wrote in all the thuds. The photography was also pretty impressive and it looked like you put a lot of effort into the mansion. That killer was downright scary too!

Mr. Boddy's motive was interesting and the explanation that he had become detached from other humans following his mother's death, and then endured abuse at the hands of his father, gave some reason as to why he might have become the way he had.

If there's one criticism I would make, it's that I think that the final chapter was unnecessary and somewhat damaging to the story. If Josephine had stolen Mr. Boddy's plans for the board game, then the police would have no evidence to incriminate him and it would begin to look a lot like Robert and Josephine had done it, given that they were the only survivors.

On the whole, I thought it was pretty good. Good work, Nathan! :D
Rob
Toddler

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks so much Rob, I'm glad you got round to reading all of this and I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

With regards to the last chapter, I wrote this intending on writing a sequel based on the Orient Express and it was going to be discussed there how the police officers suspected Robert and Josephine at one point, but in the end they really did just have to take their word for it because they were the only survivors haha :)
Nathan
Elder

Return to SimTV Mystery